From fresh salads and juicy ribs, to creamy milkshakes and outrageous ice cream sundaes, and of course that classic must-have Dole Whip, these Disney recipes are perfect for any summer occasion!
STK Tomato & Watermelon Salad – STK at Disney Springs, Walt Disney World Resort
- 4 heirloom tomatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- Smoked Chile-Lime Dressing, to taste (recipe follows)
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 cup watermelon (STK uses red and yellow), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 dozen heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilanto
- 1 cup watercress
- 1/4 cup thinly shaved red onion
- Shaved radishes, for garnish
- Shaved Dry Jack or cotija cheese, for garnish
- Pinch micro-cilantro, for garnish
- Arrange heirloom tomatoes on 4 serving plates; drizzle with dressing and season with salt.
- Gently toss watermelon, cherry tomatoes and cilantro with dressing, to taste; divide into 4 servings and place on top of tomatoes.
- Top each serving with equal amounts of watercress and red onion. Garnish with radishes, cheese, and micro-cilantro. Season with salt and serve immediately.
Smoked Chile-Lime Dressing
Makes 1 3/4 cups
- 1 canned chipotle chile plus 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce from a can
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1 lime
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Puree chile and adobo sauce, honey, and lime juice in a blender.
- With blender running on low, stream in oil.
- Stir in lime zest and salt
Shrimp Ceviche with Lime-Mint Foam – Pop Eats at Showcase Plaza, Epcot International Festival of the Arts Serves 4
Shrimp Ceviche Ingredients:
- 2 cups diced cooked shrimp (about 2/3 pound)
- 1/2 cup diced red onions
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup diced mango
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
Shrimp Ceviche Directions:
- Combine shrimp, red onion, green pepper, red pepper, jalapeno, and green onion in a glass mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine orange juice, lime juice, and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour over shrimp mixture.
- Add mango and cilantro and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Set aside.
Lime-Mint Foam Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon soy lecithin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
Lime-Mint Foam Instructions:
- Combine water, lime juice, soy lecithin, sugar, and mint in a large mixing bowl.
- Whip using a whisk or immersion blender until foam develops on the top.
- Allow to stand for 1 minute.
- Evenly divide ceviche among 4 bowls.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons lime-mint foam on top of ceviche.
Cobb Salad – The Hollywood Brown Derby at Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World Resort Serves 6
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 bunch watercress
- 1 small bunch chicory
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, blanched & peeled
- 1 1/2 cups cooked turkey breast, diced
- 3 eggs, hard-cooked
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 6 strips crisp bacon, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Chop all greens very fine (reserve some watercress for presentation) and arrange in a salad bowl.
- Cut tomatoes in half, remove seeds and dice fine.
- Dice the turkey, avocado, & eggs.
- Arrange the above ingredients, as well as the blue cheese and bacon crumbles, in straight lines across the greens.
- Arrange the chives diagonally across the above lines.
- Present the salad at the table, then toss with the dressing (below).
- Place on chilled plates with a watercress garnish.
Brown Derby Old-Fashioned French Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon English mustard
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups salad oil
- Blend all ingredients except oils.
- Then add olive oil and salad oils and mix well.
- Blend well again before mixing with salad.
Chickpea Salad – Harambe Market at Animal Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort
Serves 8 as a side dish or appetizer
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 small jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, minced
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste, dissolved in 3 tablespoons of water
- 1/4 teaspoon chaat masala, optional
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large tomato, seeds removed, diced
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, stems removed, minced
- Heat oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic, ginger, and jalapeño; cook until garlic is lightly golden.
- Set aside until the mixture is room temperature.
- Whisk in tamarind paste and chaat masala.
- Stir in onion.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Add chilled spice mixture to chickpeas, tossing to coat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of lime juice and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, add cucumber, tomato, and cilantro.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, if desired.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature
Cook’s notes: Tamarind paste has a distinctive, tart flavor. It can be purchased in Asian and Latin-American grocery stores or online. Chaat masala is a spice blend available in specialty food stores and some grocery stores or online.
Guava Glazed Barbecue Ribs – Disney Cruise Line
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 tbsp. cilantro (chopped)
- 3 tbsp. oregano (chopped)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 rack pork spareribs
Guava Barbecue Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup guava puree
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 3⁄4 cup clear honey
Directions for the Rib Marinade:
- Place all the ingredients, except the water and bay leaves, in a blender.
- Blend until smooth, place into a mixing bowl, and add the bay leaves and water.
- Pour the mixture over the ribs so both sides are covered
- Marinate for a minimum of 24 hours.
Directions for the Guava Sauce:
Mix ingredients together.
Directions for the Ribs:
- Transfer the ribs and the marinade to a roasting pan*, cover and place into a preheated oven at 270 degrees.
- Roast for 1.5 hours.
- Remove the ribs from the marinade and place onto another baking tray
- Brush with the guava barbecue sauce and place back into the oven.
- Roast for 25 minutes at 340 degrees until cooked through and glazed.
- Remove and rest for 10 minutes
*Can also be done in a covered barbecue grill.
Chocolate-Drizzled Pineapple Skewers – Aulani Resort and Spa, Hawai’i
- 20 chunks fresh pineapple
- 1 cup chocolate melts, such as Ghirardelli
- 1/4 cup shaved sweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sprinkles
- Place 5 pineapple chunks onto each of the 4 skewers
- Pat dry pineapples with a paper towel to reduce some of the liquid
- Melt chocolate melts in microwave according to package directions until melted and smooth
- Drizzle chocolate over tops of each skewer and sprinkle with coconut, macadamia nuts, and sprinkles
- Serve room temperature
“Frushi” – Hanami at the Japan Pavillion, Epcot’s International Flower and Garden Festival
- 2 cups sushi rice, cooked per package directions
- 1 tablespoon cream of coconut
- 16 soy wrappers
- 16 fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cantaloupe, cut into four-inch-long by 1/4-inch-wide rectangles
- 1/2 pineapple, peeled and cored cut into four-inch-long by 1/4-inch-wide rectangles
- toasted coconut, for garnish
- raspberry puree, for garnish
- whipped cream, for garnish
- Cook the sushi rice.
- Let sushi rice cool slightly; stir in cream of coconut.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Lay one soy wrapper on a flat surface.
- Place about 1/4 cup sushi rice on the soy wrapper, pressing with moistened fingers to cover the whole sheet.
- Place one piece each of pineapple and cantaloupe, and four pieces of strawberry in the center of the rice-covered sheet.
- Starting at one end, fold about 1/3 of the roll up, then roll the sheet into a cylinder, keeping the fruit in the middle.
- Moisten soy wrapper to seal.
- Cut into 4 equal pieces
- Garnish with raspberry puree, coconut, and whipped cream!
Dole Whip – Various Locations
- 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream
- 4 ounces of pineapple juice
- 2 cups of frozen pineapple
- Add all 3 ingredients to a blender, and blend it until it’s smooth.
- You can serve it as-is, but Disney suggests putting the blended mixture into a piping bag and piping a swirl into your bowl for the soft-serve look.
- Top with a cocktail umbrella for an extra tropical touch.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Milk Shake – 50’s Prime Time Café at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World Serves 1
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons jelly (strawberry or grape)
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add additional peanut butter or jelly to taste.
Cook’s Notes: Two cups sliced strawberries can be substituted for jelly.
Kitchen Sink – Beaches & Cream Soda Shop, Disney’s Beach Club Resort, Walt Disney World Serves 4 -6
- 1/2 cup warm fudge topping
- 1/2 cup warm butterscotch topping
- 1/2 cup warm peanut butter topping
- 1 medium banana, sliced in 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cinnamon spice cupcake (2 ½ x 1 1/4-inch), quartered
- 1 angel food cupcake (3 x 1 1/2-inch), quartered
- 2 generous scoops vanilla ice cream
- 2 generous scoops chocolate ice cream
- 2 generous scoops strawberry ice cream
- 1 generous scoop mint chocolate chip ice cream
- 1 generous scoop coffee ice cream
- 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 1/4 cup marshmallow cream
- 1/4 cup strawberry topping
- 1/4 cup pineapple topping
- 14-ounce can dairy whipped topping
- 1 large brownie (6-inch x 6-inch), quartered
- 1 regular-sized candy bar, quartered
- 4 chocolate cookies with cream filling
- 1 tablespoon sliced toasted almonds
- 1 tablespoon dark and white chocolate shavings
- 1 tablespoon crushed chocolate cookies with cream filling
- 1 tablespoon chopped jellied orange slices, about 2 large slices
- 1 tablespoon milk chocolate chip morsels
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter chip morsels
- 1 tablespoon chocolate sprinkles
- 1 tablespoon rainbow sprinkles
- 1/2 cup drained maraschino cherries
- Pour hot fudge, butterscotch, and peanut butter toppings into the bottom of a large bowl.
- Layer banana slices and cupcake pieces over toppings. Top with all ice creams.
- As quickly as possible, spoon chocolate syrup, marshmallow cream, strawberry, and pineapple toppings over ice cream.
- Cover completely with dairy whipped topping. Tuck brownie pieces, candy bar pieces, and cookies in whipped topping.
- Sprinkle with toasted almonds, dark and white chocolate shavings, crushed cookies, jellied orange slices, milk chocolate chip morsels, peanut butter morsels, chocolate sprinkles, and rainbow sprinkles.
- Top with cherries.